Cripple Creek and Victor Railroad
Dr. John M. Birmingham opened the Cripple Creek and Victor Railroad in June 0f 1967 and immediately began carrying passengers. It's first two engines were bought from the Climax Molybdenum mine in Colorado, but these engines were located in Mexico. One was in working order, but the other was about 60% done with reconstruction. A few outter buildings - some over 100 years old - were moved to the railroad's location in Cripple Creek, Colorado.
The CC&V RR now has four coal-fired steam engines for its tourist passenger service. All are 2 foot Narrow Gauge.
- #1 made in 1902 by Orenstein & Koppel is an articulated 0-4-4-0 mallet
- #2 is a Henschel 0-4-0 made in Germany in 1936
- #3 is a Porter 0-4-0 tank engine made in 1927
- #4 (under restoration (as of 2015) is a 0-4-4-OT Bagnall built in 1947
A fifth engine is an originally battery powered GE diesel, which had been used in underground mine work in Telluride, Colorado. This is now used by the CC&V track crew.
The railroad operates a 4-mile round trip run complete with an historical narratvive about the area and the mining activity of bygone days.
Four additional information about the CC&V RR go to: wwww.cripplecreekrailroad.com